Trex made this recipe all on his own yesterday. So good! We made it because my kids decided they no longer liked eating applesauce coming from a squeeze packet. Ever happen to you? Perhaps right after you made a Costco run to buy a 24 pack for your dear children?? 😉
Brown butter is just another name for Caramel Frosting. YUM!!
Could use less sugar in the recipe if using the frosting. Recipe is VERY moist, almost crispy at the edges from the butter. Didn’t rise very tall. We were missing allspice, cloves, pecans. Was still fantastic, though maybe those ingredients would’ve cut back on the sweetness.
We also added 1/4 tsp salt to the frosting to make it a salted caramel flavor. SO GOOD.
Made 1 dozen cupcakes + 1 short loaf pan.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups applesauce
1/2 cup Land O Lakes® Butter, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
3/4 cup golden raisins or raisins
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup Land O Lakes® Butter
3 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 to 3 tablespoons milk
1/4 cup chopped pecans
How to make
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 13×9-inch baking pan; set aside.
- Combine all cake ingredients except raisins and pecans in bowl. Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until ingredients are moistened. Beat at high speed, scraping bowl often, until smooth. Stir in raisins and 1/2 cup pecans.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake 35-40 minutes or until center is firm to the touch and edges begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely.
- Melt 1/3 cup butter in 1-quart saucepan over medium heat. Continue cooking, stirring constantly and watching closely, 4-6 minutes or until butter just starts to turn golden. (Butter will get foamy and bubble.) Remove from heat. Cool completely.
- Combine browned butter, powdered sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla in bowl. Beat at medium speed, gradually adding milk and scraping bowl often, until frosting is smooth and spreadable. Frost cooled cake. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup pecans.