This recipe is courtesy of my good friend Cris, who made it for me and my kids ate it all up, especially Pnut who loves onions and sweet/savory flavors.
- 3 lbs Salmon fillet/Steelhead
- 1 big onion
- 1 tbsp Grated ginger( or ginger powder)
- 1/4 c. Brown sugar
- 6 tbsp fish sauce (or according to taste)
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- Cilantro & scallions for garnishing
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Sauté onions until golden brown. Add ginger. Set aside on a bowl.
- Over medium high heat (in the same pan) add sugar, melt and caramelize (you want it brown, but not burnt).
- Add 1 cup hot water slowly (it’ll sizzle or splatter) and mix until sugar is completely dissolved. Add fish sauce and tamarind paste. Reduce to about a third.
- Transfer sauce to an oven-safe pan with the onions & ginger. Lay fish over the sauce.
- Bake uncovered for 30 min. (When halfway done, spoon sauce all over the fish then return to oven to finish baking.
- Once cooked through, broil for 2 min .(optional)
- Garnish with cilantro & scallions.