I got the following recipe from my mom’s friend, but realized that I could do the shortcut way and it was “good enough”. I love candied nuts but the ones in the store and restaurants are super sweet and not what I typically want to put into my body all the time. I’ve done this with just a few nuts and just a sprinkling of sugar, stirred around on the stove in a pan on low heat, until the sugar melts onto the nuts. Spread on to foil or parchment paper afterwards, and it’s done. But the following version is perfect for holiday gift giving and looks much nicer. And very lightly sweet.
My Mom’s Friend’s Version
My mom’s friend makes the best slightly sweetened pecans. Similar to Trader Joe’s Candied Pecans: https://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Candied-Pecans/dp/B0087O9NLI
- 1 pound Pecans
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Boil pecans for 1 minute, then drain water
- Pour in sugar, stir while it’s still hot for about 30 minutes
- Smear a baking tray with a little oil and spread the pecans evenly on to the tray
- Roast for 46-48 minutes at 275 degrees
- Leave pecans in the oven for several hours after finished
* Stir the pecans once during baking and again after oven is off.